Let us paint a picture for you: Thomas Gold is on stage, and you’re directly in front of him, about 50 feet back. Miraculously, your group has managed to find some breathing room. Everything is going well. There are no sweaty teenagers jammed into y
our armpits. No mysterious stranger is rubbing his crotch against your backside. The show has been excellent so far, and you’re enjoying yourself.
The drumline fades into something different, something deliberate. The beat gently grows heavier. The ground beneath your feet begins to tremble.
Suddenly, the momentum vanishes. There’s a pause in the music. For a second, you think it’s safe to relax — and then you’re hit squarely in the chest by a melody that is both haunting and beautiful. As you’re swept away by AGORA’s enchanting synth line, you look up. Thomas Gold has his hand in the air and a smile on his face. The beat comes hammering down. Everything vibrates.
The absurdly talented Thomas Gold is a superstar in the making. Here are the five tracks you need to know about from his performance in the Size Matters tent at Insomniac’s debut Halloween festival, Escape from Wonderland.
1. Thomas Gold – AGORa
Thomas spliced his original mix with the vocals from Axwell’s “I Found U.” First heard this one on Swedish House Mafia’s Essential Mix from Creamfields 2010, and it still gets us every time. This might be the best thing we’ve heard from Size Matters.
2. Dirty South & Those Usual Suspects – Walking Alone
Here’s why the DJ Mag Top 100 matters: it’s supposed to be a comprehensive ranking of the most popular performers in the world. Here’s why it doesn’t: Dirty South is #75, and Thomas Gold didn’t even make the list.
3. Dirty South & Thomas Gold feat. Kate Elsworth – Alive (Original Mix)
4. James Blunt – Dangerous (Deniz Koyu & Johan Wedel Remix)
When this song plays, everyone claps, and we get so excited we make the Dancing Astronaut face (see masthead for details). First heard it in Avicii’s set from Marquee over Independence Day Weekend. Deniz Koyu has taken the scene by storm this year because…
5. Deniz Koyu – Tung
… is awesome. It’s absolutely massive and has deservedly been a staple at festival sets this year. The definition of big-room house.
Editor’s Note: Thomas Gold’s “Abart” deserves to be on this list, but the track hasn’t been released yet. The set also featured some unbelievable bootlegs that we couldn’t find anywhere. You can hear them by downloading the full set.
10 moments worthy of a Dancing Astronaut face
- Tim Mason – Anima
- Tommy Trash – The End
- Adele – Set Fire to the Rain (Thomas Gold Remix)
- Mush Mush vs. French Kiss vs. Get Get Down (Thomas Gold Mashup)
- Moguai – We Want Your Soul (Thomas Gold Remix)
- Hard Rock Sofa – True Emotion
- Calvin Harris – Feel So Close (Benny Benassi Remix) vs Alesso – Raise Your Head
- Tiësto – Maximal Crazy (Bassjackers Remix)
- Thomas Gold – Marsch Marsch
- Chuckie & Hardwell vs. Calvin Harris vs. Laidback Luke & Steve Aoki vs. Chuckie & Gregori Klosman feat. Ambush – Move It 2 The Drum vs. Flashback vs. Turbulence vs. Mutfakta (Thomas Gold Mashup)