Sunday Morning Medicine is a feature from Dancing Astronaut dedicated to the mellower side of electronic music. We bring you our favorite therapeutic selections — old and new — in an attempt to alleviate the agonizing effects of a long weekend of partying.
This week’s SMM features an eclectic mix of downtempo, deep house and disco favorites. We start off with Sweden’s rising bliss-house stars Monitor 66 with their new release “Follow You.” Then move into a Thyladomid take on the Chris Isaak’s classic “Wicked Game.” We have yet another Flight Facilities masterpiece, this time a remix for Miike Snow’s “The Wave,” while Manik delivers deep comfort in a rework of Frank Ocean’s “Pink Matter.” Lastly, we finish off with Todd Terje’s famed Hot Chip remix of “How Do You Do.”
If you missed some of the mellow grooves from the past week make sure to check out the Moon Boots remix of Bondax’ “Gold,” Justin Martin’s remix of Rachel Row’s “Follow the Step”, Flume’s BBC Radio 6 mix, Tensnake’s Essential Mix and the Superstitious Heart EP which included works from Maya Jane Coles, Simian Mobile Disco, and more.
1. A free download to cheer you up this morning from Swedish “blissco” duo Monitor 66 combining the finer elements of disco and deep house into a chilled-out Sunday remedy.
2. Swedish band Miike Snow seem to be a remix favorite, but none do them justice until you hear Flight Facilities’ multi-faceted take on “The Wave”.
3. Wicked Game is a timeless classic with a haunting vocal that has been beautifully reworked by Swiss duo Adriatique & Thyladomid — and best part is, it’s a free download.
4. New York producer Manik reworks “Pink Matter” by injecting a soulful, deep groove under Frank Ocean’s emotional lyrics.
5. King of Disco, Todd Terje, remixes Hot Chip’s “How Do You Do” in a nine minute odyssey of heavenly delight.