In 2017, Calvin Harris has managed to engender anticipation for an album throughout both the mainstream and dance music communities to a nearly unprecedented degree. Though the Scottish producer only announced Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1 in May, he’s been giving fans an increasingly clear picture of the LP since he first teased the Frank Ocean and Migos collaboration that would become “Slide” in January of this year.
In the months since, Harris has systematically released several singles off of the star-studded album, following “Slide” with “Heatstroke,” “Rollin,” and “Feels.” The team of Frank Ocean, Migos, Young Thug, Pharrell, Ariana Grande, Future, Khalid, Katy Perry, and Big Sean is enough star power to fill far more than a single album. Yet, this enviable selection is limited only to the aforementioned songs, which comprise less than half of the record. If Harris’ mission for Funk Wav was to recruit a stupefying number of hitmakers, then he did so more than duly.
Today, June 30, Calvin Harris has released his fifth studio album in full, featuring six previously unreleased songs which feature the likes of Snoop Dogg, A-Trak, and Nicki Minaj, among many others. Tailored for summer sensibilities and primed for the top of the charts, Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1 is soon to be ubiquitous.
1. Slide feat. Frank Ocean and Migos
2. Cash Out feat. Schoolboy Q, PARTYNEXTDOOR, and D.R.A.M.
3. Heatstroke feat. Young Thug, Pharrell, and Ariana Grande
4. Rollin feat. Future and Khalid
5. Prayers Up feat. Travis Scott, and A-Trak
6. Holiday feat. Snoop Dogg, John Legend, and Takeoff
7. Skrt On Me feat. Nicki Minaj
8. Feels feat. Pharrell, Katy Perry, and Big Sean
9. Faking It feat. Kehlani and Lil Yachty
10. Hard To Love feat. Jessie Reyez